The Stewart Society is sponsoring a composing competition. This is for an original composition of a 2 parted march in 4/4 time, to be played on the Highland bagpipe. The composer of the winning tune will receive a prize of £300, and will have their name inscribed on the competition cup. The tune will also be played at the Stewart Society Gathering, during the weekend of August 21st-23rd 2015, at Ballone Castle, Tain, Rosshire, with hopefully, the composer in attendance. The tune will also be published in the Stewart Society magazine in 2016.
The entries will be judged by a panel consisting of
Roddy MacLeod MBE, Principal, the National Piping Centre
Finlay MacDonald, Head of Piping Studies, the National Piping Centre
Finlay Johnston, National Piping Centre Tutor, winner of the Gold Medal for Piobaireachd, Argyllshire Gathering 2012
- The tune entered must be a two parted march in 4/4/ time
- Your entry can be submitted either by email, in which case it must be a pdf attachment, to the competition email address – stewartsocietycompetition@
gmail.com or by post to “Stewart Society Competition, The National Piping Centre, 30-34 McPhater Street, Glasgow, G4 0HW”
- Your tune manuscript should bear no marks which identify the composer.
- The decision of the judging panel is final
- The closing date for the competition is 30th June 2015. No entries received after that date will be considered