About our company
The National Piping Centre is a national and international centre of excellence for the Great Highland Bagpipe. We incorporate; a Bagpiping School, Museum of Piping, The Bagpipe Shop, a Library, Hotel, Restaurant as well as Conference and Wedding facilities.
We welcome visitors from all over the world who often stay with us and also learn to play the pipes. We are a busy, city centre venue with an excellent reputation for providing warm and welcoming Scottish hospitality.
Outline of role
- Delivering excellent customer service within our shop and front desk
- Switchboard operator
- Assisting with online sales and website products
- Supporting the team to achieve targets
- Ensuring store presentation is of a high standard at all times
To come on board as a sales assistant you would ideally have the following:
- Customer service experience
- Confident and clear communication skills
- Enjoy working with the public
- Must be able to competently play, maintain and set up bagpipes
- An interest in traditional music (desirable)
- Flexible to work shifts and weekends
- Able to work on your own initiative and as part of a team
£6.50 per hour
Hours per week
The National Piping Centre, 30-34 McPhater Street, Glasgow, G4 0HW
Publication end date
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Job title: Administrative Officer Department:
Piping School Responsible to: Director of Piping and Director of Administration
Main duties include:
Co-ordination of all tuition, excepting evening classes, and including in-house schools and events abroad, daytime tuition and Scottish Qualifications Authority exams.
- Answering general and tuition enquiries by phone and email.
- Maintenance of student records database and online tuition diary.
- Managing subscriptions for Piping Today magazine, proof-reading, organising distribution of magazines, producing mailing lists and renewal advice.
- Issuing invoices, including for tuition at local schools, Piping Today adverts and others.
- Producing printed material for courses and Schools, including timetables, confirmation letters/emails and other information. Ordering stationery, computing, printer and sundry supplies.
- Opening and sorting post.
- General office administration including provision of forms, exam material, filing, supervision of leave requests.
- Co-ordinating and managing specific events organised by the National Piping Centre such as performances and competitions.
- Liaison with contractors as required.
- Submitting licence applications and sourcing infrastructure for Glasgow International Piping Festival, Piping Live!
- Administration and processing of all SQA exams; management of systems and processes; maintenance of exam material.
- Oversee improvements in general procedures and workflow.
See Full Information and Job Description HERE
A night exploring Ceòl Mòr – The Big Music – in a spirit of collaboration with two exciting performances.
Alongside a quartet of some of Scotland’s most thrilling young string players, pibroch master and authority Murray Henderson takes a journey into the depths of the most powerful and stirring pieces in the pibroch repertoire.
Coming from a different angle, piper/producer Duncan Grant, also known for his electronic music under the pseudonym Cain, explores the sonic potential of pibroch in the 21st Century.
Featuring James Lindsay, Susan Appelbe, Megan Henderson, Mharie Mackinnon, Calum MacCrimmon and John Mulhearn.
Friday, March 6, 2015 from 7.30pm | Book Online Now
A simple introduction to playing the bagpipes, come and try this traditional iconic instrument at The National Piping Centre.
Guests will be welcomed by a Scottish bagpiper and given a tour of The Museum of Piping.
» More info on the Come & Try page
The National Piping Centre is now recruiting for a full time piping teacher.
The successful applicant will be required to teach students of all ages and abilities and to take a full part in the varied activities and developmental work of the Centre. Occasional travel abroad in order to teach in workshops and summer schools will also be a requisite part of this job. The ability to perform in public to a high standard is a desirable attribute for this post.
Appointments at The National piping Centre will be subject to satisfactory clearance through the Disclosure Scotland Protection of Vulnerable Groups Scheme. The National Piping Centre will arrange and pay for an application to be made.
A job description can be found below or can be requested from Clare Lynas, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – Tel: 0141 353 0220.
To apply, please submit a Curriculum Vitae to email@example.com or send it by mail to Roddy MacLeod, Principal, The National Piping Centre, 30-34 McPhater St, Cowcaddens, Glasgow, G4 0HW.
The closing date for applications is 31st January 2015.
We’re entering into the LateRooms Best Kept Secret Awards 2014. This is a competition which is judged by YOU the customer! We’d be very grateful if you could nominate The Pipers’ Tryst via the link below for Best Breakfast and Best Service.
Nominate and you can be entered into a draw to WIN a 2 night stay at Chesford Grange, Warwick including dinner and breakfast at the hotel, a bottle of red wine and 2 passes to Warwick Castle.
“Scotland’s Centre of Excellence for this great instrument”
Come along and meet our world class bagpipers.
Bespoke one-to-one meetings for bride and grooms to discuss your musical needs with our experts.
These popular events are held throughout the year at The National Piping Centre.
Refreshments provided whilst you chat!
EVENT DATES 2014
- Sunday 14th September 12-4pm
- Sunday 5th October 12-4pm
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make a one-to-one booking.
We would love to win a VOWS award for our little team’s outstanding contribution to weddings in Scotland!
Please help us by clicking on the link below to nominate The National Piping Centre for ‘Best Venue’.
Last month the fantastic Braw Brides Blog covered our styled wedding shoot, showcasing our wedding venue.
Here’s the feature: http://www.brawbrides.com/portfolio/braw-styled-shoot-at-the-national-piping-centre/
If you or a friend/family member have an upcoming wedding to plan The National Piping Centre is perfect for your special day. Call us today on 0141 353 5551 to book a show around.
A huge thank you to R.G.Hardie & Co who sponsored the recent NPC summer school in Winchester, Virginia, by donating a beautiful set of PH01 Peter Henderson thistle engraved bagpipes.
The pipes were awarded to Ross Evans (pictured) whom the instructors deemed the most deserving student after a successful week of piping. These are Ross’s first set of pipes and we wish him all the best in his future piping endeavours!