Our tutor books are the best way to learn to play, transition to bagpipes and now learn Piobaireachd. Our titles are:
The Highland Bagpipe Tutor Book 1 - this is for complete beginners who are starting their piping journey.
The Highland Bagpipe Tutor Book 2: Transition to Bagpipes - this is for those taking the step from practice chanter to bagpipes and also contains a lot of great information about maintenance of bagpipes.
The Highland Bagpipe Piobaireachd Tutor Book - this book looks specifically at the classical music of the bagpipes, Piobaireachd, giving you full lessons and has an online section where you can listen to movements as you learn.
The Bagpipe Shop stocks copies of our collection of books are are available here.
The Highland Bagpipe Tutor Book 1 and Highland Bagpipe Piobaireachd Tutor are now also available as digital downloads from the iBooks Store. You can access Tutor Book 1, Step 1, the full Tutor Book 1 or the Piobaireachd Tutor.
This innovative product is the result of a collaborative project between Ceol Mor Software & Publishing and the National Piping Centre, Scotland. Building on the success of the Bagpipe Tutor Book produced by the NPC, learners now have the option of purchasing a fully digital version of this publication, now with enhanced functionality.
These books contain embedded video clips of the exercises as well as audio hints and tips from the director of music, who is also one of the top players in the world. Video clips of every exercise and tune being played through PiobMasterPro are also included. This really is a quantum leap from a standard publication
Tutor Book 1 - Step 1 is available here
Tutor Book 1 - Full book is available here
The Piobaireachd Tutor Book is available through iBooks. Search Highland Bagpipe Piobaireachd and it will appear.
To access these books, you must have an iBooks account on an Apple device. Android versions of these books are not available yet.
Publisher: Ceol Mor Software & Publishing Ltd
Copyright: The National Piping Centre
Please use this form to purchase lessons for both in-person and skype lessons.
When we receive your booking form we will do our best to comply with your suggested times and dates as requested. We will then confirm this in an email with you, or if you have not made a choice we will suggest other times. If you DO NOT recieve an email from us, the lesson is not confirmed so will not take place. We must confirm that the lesson is confirmed, and who your teacher will be in an email for it to take place.
If you are in a different time zone remember that our lesson times will be in Greenwich Mean Time or British Summer Time (GMT +1).
Alternatively, lessons and payments can be arranged directly by calling +44 (0)141 353 0220. A 50 minute lesson costs £24, with a block of 10 lessons now £220. Please be aware of the terms of service below.
Online Tuition Using Skype
Step 1: Set-up
Make sure your computer meets the requirements and that you have:
- A personal computer with high enough specifications to run Skype Video.
- Skype 4 (or above) installed on your computer. You must already have a Skype account as you will need it to book the lesson.
- A webcam, microphone and headphones (to avoid feedback).
- A quiet room where you won't be disturbed for the duration of the lesson.
- You'll need to have first tested your Skype Video connection to get the most out of your lesson. Skype have a guide on setting up video.
Step 2: Arrange payment and time
Please use this booking form to purchase lessons directly, or contact The National Piping Centre directly to arrange the lessons. You can purchase an on-line lesson from The National Piping Centre shop by telephoning with your credit card details. For security reasons please do not send card details by e-mail.
Terms of service
All users of the National Piping Centre's on-line tuition service must agree to follow these terms and conditions.
- Payment must be received in advance of the lesson. The National Piping Centre will not enter into an agreement to provide on-line tuition to the user until payment has been received.
- Lessons must be booked 48 hours in advance.
- If a lesson is cancelled within 48, full payment will be taken for that lesson, as per our cancellation policy which you can view here.
- The National Piping Centre cannot be held liable for service interruptions or technical faults. If a lesson is disrupted for these reasons the National Piping Centre may reschedule the lesson at its discretion but refunds cannot be made. This does not affect your statutory rights.
- Lessons last for 50 minutes and up to five minutes of this time may be used to solve any connection or set-up problems.
- Both parties will adhere exclusively to Scots Law with respect to this booking.