The Glenfiddich Piping Championship 2020 - Results
The Glenfiddich Piping Championship 2020 has just announced its prize list for 2020. The Overall winner was Stuart Liddell, Inveraray.
The event, organised by The National Piping Centre with funding from the William Grant Foundation, was held behind closed doors, with only competitors, judges and skeleton crew at Blair Castle for the 47th edition of this prestigious event. Rigorous health and safety processes were put in place to ensure that the event was as COVID-safe as possible.
As all but one of the qualifying events were cancelled this year, the organisers used a list of past champions who are still competing and second overall placings to make up the 10 pipers.
The event instead was broadcast online around the world through The National Piping Centre's website, with over 1,000 ticket buyers registering to watch the event.
The prize lists were as follows:
1. Jack Lee, Surrey, British Columbia, Canada – Lament for Colin Roy MacKenzie
2. Stuart Liddell, Inveraray, Scotland – In Praise of Morag
3. Finlay Johnston, Glasgow, Scotland – Rory MacLoude's Lament
4. Roddy MacLeod MBE, Moodiesburn, Scotland – The Battle of Auldearn, #2
5. Angus MacColl, Benderloch, Scotland – The Unjust Incarceration
Judges – Jack Taylor, Iain MacFadyen and Willie Morrison.
MSR (twice through each tune)
1. Willie MacCallum, Bearsden, Scotland – Angus Campbell's Farewell to Stirling. Shepherd's Crook, Bessie McIntyre
2. Stuart Liddell – Duke of Roxburgh’s Farewell to the Blackmount Forest, Cat Lodge, Drumlithie
3. Roddy MacLeod MBE – The Marchioness of Tullibardine, Piper's Bonnet, The Grey Bob
4. Bruce Gandy, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada – Leaving Lunga, Ewe wi' the Crookit Horn, Stornoway Castle
5. Iain Speirs, Edinburgh, Scotland – The Royal Scottish Pipers' Society, Tulloch Gorm, John McKechnie
Judges: Walter Cowan, Colin MacLellan and Ian McLellan BEM.
1. Stuart Liddell
2. Jack Lee
3. Roddy MacLeod MBE