The World Amateur Champion of Champions Solo Piping Competition 2024
The Competition League for Amateur Solo Pipers (The CLASP) was set up by The National Piping Centre in 2003 to give adult amateur pipers a competition platform to compete on, through a series of grading competitions held yearly throughout Scotland and the UK. In its 20 years, CLASP has evolved, gaining a global membership base. To celebrate this 20 year milestone, CLASP is working with other amateur events across the world to create a premier solo piping competition. The inaugural World Amateur Champion of Champions Solo Piping Competition is an invitational contest, which will feature the top 10 amateur pipers selected from qualifying events across the globe. This event has been generously sponsored by David Naill Bagpipes, who have donated a set of engraved nickel DN2E Bagpipes as the prize for the overall winner of the event.
Whilst CLASP qualifying events are for CLASP members, 18 years and above, other qualifying events do not have an age restriction. For events out with the CLASP system, any
qualifying competitor who is under 18 will be invited to take part. To create a top level amateur competition, CLASP have set up an international panel, which will monitor and advise and ensure the top amateur pipers in the world can be selected from the appropriate qualifying competitions worldwide. Pipers will be required to play in both Piobaireachd and an MSR discipline. Special thank you to Bob Worrall who has assisted with the North American qualifying events.
- The 10 Qualifying events will be awarded as follows to the Grade 1 overall Champions:
- Glengarry Highland Games, Maxville – North American Championships – 4th August 2023 (In-person event)
- The World Solo Amateur Piping Competition @ Piping Live! 2023, Glasgow. – August 2023 (In-person event)
- The Nicol Brown – November 2023 (In-person Event)
- George Sherriff – November 2023 (In-person Event)
- The CLASP ‘Live Online’ November 2023 (Online)
- The Sun Belt in Florida November 2023 (In-person Event)
- Winter Storm - January 2024 (In-person Event)
- Metro Cup – Feb 2024 (In-person Event)
- The CLASP ‘Live Online’ Feb 2024 - Overall Grade 1 winner (Online Event)
- The BC Indoor Competition – April 2024- Overall Grade 1 winner (In-person Event)
For any duplicate winners, the panel will decide on the piper(s) who will fill the place and will look at other prize winners in the lists. For example we may look at an association’s
overall league table where the standard has been particularly competitive.
This event is open to audience members across the world. Register in advance to watch the stream live through zoom, on the day of the event. The event will be compered on the day by Bob Worrall. To tune in live, audience members need to book their ticket HERE Tickets are £5.
The results will be announced a few days after the event, live via The CLASP Facebook page.